Sunday, May 2, 2010

#14 One size does NOT fit all

Share

There are more types of yoga than ice cream flavours. Frankly, I don't even know them all. What I do know is that not every type of yoga is right for everyone.

Here are some general rules to follow:

1. Hate heat and sweat? Stay away from Hot Yoga.
2. Rather sit on the couch than participate in aerobic activity? Power Yoga is out.
3. Love spandex? You're in luck because any class will probably do (refer to my previous post 'Fashion Matters' on yoga attire before letting go on this one).
4. Don't like to laugh? I'd say this is a problem. Maybe you're in need of some Laughter Yoga. You'll probably also want to stay away from my class as laughing at the expense of the teacher is a common thing

I'm not saying each person can be shoved into a yoga 'box' but depending on one's personality, health, and clothing preferences, there are absolutely classes better suited to each of us. The "one size fits all" idea definitely doesn't work where student's health concerns are concerned, for e.g., bulging disk, arthritis, pregnancy, etc..

Lesson learned: Take the time to find the perfect fit.


Get This

No comments: