Sunday, May 16, 2010

#28 Happiness is a choice

Share

You can choose to be happy.* Think of the positive and you'll feel better; focus on the negative and your attitude will stay in the pooper. I swear. Try it my way:

First, I think of something that makes me happy. It isn't something earth shattering or grandiose like world peace. I think of something real that can make me happy now. For instance, I have a pair of cat socks (picture to follow). I love them. Putting them on makes me smile. When I think of those socks I actually start to feel happier.

Then I switch gears and think of something that makes me unhappy. For me it's when I've realized I've run out of milk for my morning cereal. For you it could be your ex (you know who you are). Whatever it is, I think about it and practically feel my cortisone levels rise.

Test it out yourself. When you get better at this little exercise, take it up a notch. Grow your happiness quotient. Before you know it, you'll feel happier, you'll start to appreciate the little things more, and you'll get into the habit of thinking on the positive side.

Listen to my girl, Cara Poppitt, owner of Soul Connexion Dance and Yoga Studio talk about her philosophy on why it's important to think positively.

So, what makes you happy? I'd love to hear about it. Post under comments below.

* I know there are greater challenges to this simple statement, like depression.
Get This

No comments: