Monday, May 3, 2010

#15 Don't be a tight-ass.

Share

Backbends are my nemesis.

Due to years of competitive swimming, a lower back injury, and a general lack of any genetic predisposition for spinal extension, backbends have always been a challenge for me. I'm not making excuses. I'm simply stating the obvious:

Me + backbends = suck.

You know what I mean. We all have a group of poses that kitt us in the butt the most. But the beauty of practicing yoga is that we can work in all poses well if we learn how to adjust them for our bodies.

Here's my advice to you about backbends based on persnal experience: Don't be a tight-ass.

Clenching and squeezing the butt cheeks together only externally rotates your legs, compresses the SI joint,s and causes lower back pain.

So release the cheeks and feel the freedom in your backbends. Your lower back will thank you.


Get This

No comments: