Wednesday, May 19, 2010

#31 Perfection is a myth

Share

I have never forgotten what I overheard my teacher say to another student years ago. It was in response to a question about, don't quote me here, achieving perfection in a yoga pose. My teacher said, "There is no perfection in asana. Every time you hit the mat the body, mind, and environment will be different".

Brilliant. Right then I got it. There is no such thing as perfection in yoga because how you practice and how you feel while practicing will always be changing and evolving. One day you could be sick, the next dealing with an injury, and the next an emotional wreck because you've run out of nail polish halfway through your at-home manicure.

Why would I want it to be perfect? If I "got" the pose, achieved the perfect alignment, and become flawless in meditation, why would I continue to practice? I love yoga because there is always another challenge and something new to learn on and off the mat.

From one perfectionist to another, my advice is get over it because perfection doesn't exist.

Plus, remember to keep an extra bottle of polish on hand for emergencies.
Get This

No comments: