Friday, May 21, 2010

#33 You're not your waist size

Share
So continues my list of reasons people give for not trying yoga (see my previous post for reason no. 1)

Reason no.2: I'm overweight

In the words of Baz Lurhmann from Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen):

"Enjoy your body, use it every way you can…don’t be afraid of it, or what other people think of it, it’s the
the greatest instrument you’ll ever own."

If you don't feel comfortable attending a class because it looks more like an exhibitionist convention than a yoga class, try another. I can say from experience the more you practice yoga, the more you come to appreciate what your body can do for you. There are days when my practice makes me feel more comfortable in my skin. Even when I can't get my body to do what I want it to, I still appreciate the effort.

Plus, the mind-body connection is a powerful thing. Feeling bad about yourself? S tressed out? A few yoga moves and you'll feel as cool as a cat. What's the alternative? Sitting on the couch brooding by yourself?

Lesson Learned: Your body is your temple. Shying away from using it never did anyone any good.

Added June 15h, 2010: Think you can't "do" yoga if you're not a size 4? Here is a photo of my teacher, Geeta Iyengar. She is THE teacher now that her father, Sri B.K.S. Iyengar has retired.

Photo credit:

Yoga: A Gem for Women, Geeta S. Iyengar (Timeless Books; Revised edition (March 1, 2002), ISBN-10: 0931454980)


Get This

No comments: