Tuesday, April 20, 2010

#3 Think before you speak

Share

The use of clear, concise language when teaching is a large part of yoga instructor training. You're taught to choose your words carefully or else the students won't "get it". For example, I once went out on a limb and decided not to demonstrate a pose and to rely solely on my expert *ahem* descriptive skills. What resulted was a class of students attempting to practically levitate in Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose), trying to take both feet off the floor, legs straight up in the air...in a beginner class. Picture Dwi Pada Setu Bandha Sarvangasana. You can't because it doesn't exist. Lesson learned: Nothing beats the use of clear anatomical terms and directions, and apparently demos, to get the point across.

I can one-up myself with another true story. I always joke there should be a wall between thinking and speaking. Picture a barrier which allows the communicator to pause, mentally assess what is about to be said, and take that opportunity to modify if necessary. During a class one fateful evening, my wall was MIA. What slipped out of my mouth that night came out of nowhere and without warning: Full-frontal. Before I knew what had happened, I had said it. I'm not sure why and I don't remember what point I was trying to make (--inset your guess here--). I was then faced with a choice: 1. Try to laugh it off, or 2. Pretend like it never happened. I choose the later.

Unfortunately, my slip-up wasn't missed by friends who had attended class. They never let me forget it.

Lesson learned: Take a breath and think before you speak. You never know when your wall may be 'Out-of-Order'.


Get This

No comments: