Wednesday, April 28, 2010

#10 Mirroring is a challenge

Share

I can safely say I learned the difference between left and right over 25 years ago in pre-school. So why is it I still have days when I'm caught in class seemingly not knowing the difference?

Overall, I'd say I'm rather adept and comfortable with the whole mirroring teaching strategy: the student's practice a pose while you mirror them so they don't get confused. Simple, right? Not always. Mirroring is especially fun during twists when the student's already having difficulty figuring out how to properly contort themselves. They forget I'm mirroring and try to do what I'm doing instead of what I'm saying. I end up with half the class going to the right, and half the class going to the left and then I can't remember which way I told them to go!

Of course, this doesn't explain the days when I'm simply ass-backwards with my cues. Right-left, left-right. They're the same thing,...right?
Get This

No comments: