Monday, December 6, 2010

On a serious note: There is too much violence in the world

Share

Allow me to stray from the usual favorites things list with a wish for the future.

Today marks the 21st anniversary of the École Polytechnique Massacre. I remember reading the headlines of the event in the Montreal Gazette as a young girl. A photograph included with one of the articles has stuck with me ever since: a school custodian taking down a Joyeuse Fêtes holiday decoration from the walls of the chaotic school cafeteria in the aftermath of the massacre*.

My holiday wish is for this type of cruel act to never repeat itself. I realize how naive this sentence reads but I can think of nothing better to write as I revert back to the thoughts of the 12 year old girl I was back in 1989.

To the lost women: May you forever rest in peace.

*My apologies if my memory of the photograph is skewed. I haven't since been able to find the photograph in newspaper archives to verify what I remember. I'm afraid it's because the complete content of the photograph is too painful and was removed out of respect for the families of the lost women.



Get This

No comments: