Monday, September 14, 2009

Upsidedown

Share
Inversions were always my nemesis. At the same time, they have taught me more about my practice and yoga than any other groups of asanas. Lessons learned: a headstand is not something to do at a party but it can feel liberating in the confines of my home. 40 mins


1. Salamba Sirsasana I (supported Headstand I): Lately this pose has felt rather off to me. I can't seem to ever "get" there, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if it weren't for the lack of ease I'm feeling. I did discover with the help of one a senior teacher that I've been placing my elbows too narrow for my shoulders. Bring back the ease. 5 mins

2. Pincha Mayurasana (Peacock feather): One of my favorites. This too felt difficult today, with my hands feeling like they have the strength of an 8-year old and my balance all but gone. Note to self: just because you like it and it's usually easy for you doesn't mean you can neglect this pose. 5 mins

3. Adho Mukha Vrksasana (Handstand): Today I practiced it facing and with my feet on the wall. I like this variation because it gives me freedom through my shoulders and back. I can also use my legs strength to lift more through the shoulders by pressing my feet into the wall. Arms feel like twigs here too today. 2 x 1 mins

4. Chaturanga Dandasana (Four-limbed Staff Pose or as the non-yoga nerds call it: plank): In some stroke of idiocy I thought "If my upper body feels week today, why not work on it by adding CD?" Not a good idea. it was a shot-lived affair with this pose today. 15 sec x 2

5. Adho Muhka Virasana (Downward-facing hero): Because I needed a rest. 1 min

6. Eka Pada Rajakapotasana (One-legged King Pigeon): Started working with a strap looped around my back foot to help open the front of the body and shoulders. I have been working more on tucking the tailbone, releasing the buttock muscles, pressing down through the back shin, and lifting from the naval up to the centre of the chest to gain more lift and ease in the back. It's working nicely. 2 min per side

7. Hanumanasana (King Monkey): Supported on a folded blanket today. 2 min per side

8. Salamba Sarvangasana (Supported Shoulderstand): A must have after the other inversions to bring the energy down. I used three folder blankets to support the shoulders and a strap around the elbows to keep them in line with the shoulders. No variations. 5 mins

Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend): First with legs hip-width apart, then the classic pose with legs apart. Made sure to draw the hamstring muscles out to the sides to help create more inner-thigh rotation and pelvic tilt. 2 mins

9. Upavistha Konasana (Seated Wide-angled Forward Bend): Forehead supported on a wooden block. 2 mins

10. Jathara Parivartanasana (Stomach Turning Pose): bent-leg version. 30 sec per side x 2

11. Savasana (Corpse Pose): I thought the time would never come. 10 mins

A new perspective always comes from practicing inversions.
Get This

No comments: