Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Balanced

Share
I was inspired by a fellow yogi to practice arm balancing tonight. Not usually my first choice but after this, I just may be hooked. 40 mins.


1. Adho Mukha Vrksasana (Handstand), tuck: I chose to practice this pose in a tuck to worry less about balance and more on the position of the pelvis and torso; I also like it for building core strength. Don't get me wrong: a wall was nearby, just in case. 3 mins

2. Bakasana (Crane): I worked first from a squat, then from Salamba Sirsasana II (Supported Headstand II); the latter is more difficult and takes more time. I appreciate both, especially when I get cocky, move too quickly from one stage to the next, and face plant into the floor. 5 mins

3. Dwi Pada Koundinyasana: Beginning in Salamba Sirsasana II, this pose isn't one I hold for hours. I rarely practice it so any improvement in reducing the warp speed I use to move from one step to the next is a good thing. Pointers here, even more so than in Bakasana, is to maintain strong legs, keep the elbows exactly at 90 degrees and in line with the shoulders. Oh, and next time I'll throw in a twist to prepare the spine for the twisting transition from pose to pose. 30 sec x 3

4. Dwi Hasta Bhujasana: What I remember here is to keep pressing the thighs into the arms, which leads or "links" nicely to the name of the next pose, and to keep the weight well back into the palms. 1 min

5. Bhujapidasana: Taking the previous pose a step further and crossing the ankles. I prefer this pose to the later for this very reason; I find the "lock" made by the ankles helps keep me there. 1 min

6. Padmasana (Lotus): To prepare the hips and knees for a variation of the next pose. 2 mins

7. Mayurasana (Peacock): Done once with the hands out to the sides and once with the hands in the classic pose backwards towards the hips. I admit, I can't take the feet off the floor in this pose..yet. 1 min

8. Padma Mayurasana: The fact that one's weight is distributed closer to the body's centre of gravity in this pose makes it easier than Maryrasana to lift off the ground. 1 min

9. Eka Pada Rajakapotasana (One-legged King Pigeon): This pose has become a consistent part of my practice lately and so I throw it in again. 2 mins per side

10. Hanumanasana (King Monkey): Another favorite, I seem to be unable to put anything else following EPR. 1 min per side

11. Jathara Parivartanasana (Stomach Turning Pose): modified version with bent knees to release the spinal and abdominal muscles. 1 min per side x 2

12. Savasana (Corpse Pose) 10 mins


If nothing else can slow you down, arm balancing definitely will.
Get This

No comments: