Monday, September 21, 2009

Iyengar Workshop with Jayne Orton, September 18-20th, 2009

Share

I attended a workshop this past weekend at the Family Yoga Centre in Edmonton taught by Jayne Orton. Jayne is a certified Senior-level Iyengar yoga instructor teaching in Birmingham, England. With 30 years experience teaching and over 35 years practicing Iyengar yoga, you would assume she knows her stuff. I am nevertheless thoroughly impressed by her teaching and charisma over the three-day workshop. Her insight into the Iyengar method, the proper movement of the body in postures, and yoga in general solidifies the fact that Jayne has done her work over the years. Iyengar instructors at her level don't get there overnight. They especially don't gain that level of proficiency in their teaching by taking a weekend instructor course. It take years, decades to learn what they have and it takes personality and talent to teach as well as they do. I continue to aspire to that level of teaching. Until then, I'll blog about my experiences here.

The next few entries on the workshop aren't a step-by-step synopsis but rather a review and discussion of the instructions that stood out for me. I'll discuss the "lightbulb" moments where I made real progress in my poses and gained knowledge of what works for my body. I'll also mention pointers that stood out as ways to improve my own teaching.

Stay tuned.

P.S. Feel free to comment on Jayne's teaching if you've been lucky enough to attend her classes before.
Get This

No comments: