Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Practice for Neck Pain

Share
I developed rather nasty neck pain a few days ago. Here is what I did to work through the pain one evening when it had swelled and I developed an overall feeling of yuck. Practice time: 45mins

1. Supta Baddha Konasana (Reclining-bound Angle): To ease the pain. Done supported on a bolster with blanket under my head and two others supporting my thighs. Eyes closed. Ujjayi pranayama (breathing) - 15 mins

2. Supta Virasana (Reclining Hero): Forehead supported by bolster - 2 mins

3. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-facing Dog): To take the pressure off my neck and head. Focused on releasing my neck down, using strong legs to take the weight back from my arms and shoulders. At the end, back to Supta Virasana - 1 min x 3

4. Adho Muhka Vrksanana (Handstand): To put my neck in traction and take the pressure off more. Used the wall for support in order to maintain the pose longer, findertips straight directly at baseboard - 1 min x 2

5. Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend): Appropriate following headstand. Two versions: one with back directly against the wall, the other off the wall with hands clasping elbows - 2 mins each variation

6. Dandasana (Staff Pose); Preparation for seated poses and to lengthen the back and neck. 30 sec

7. Upavista Konasana (Seated Wide-legged Forward Bend): Head supported on a wooden block (lowest height) 5 mins

8. Viparita Karani (Legs up the Wall): To replace any version of shoulderstand, no props - 5 mins with arm variations

8a. Parvatasana: Taking the arms over the head towards the floor, holding, focusing on relaxing the neck and lower back as I do this; switching the hand grip and repeating

9. Jathara Parivartanasana (Belly-turning Pose): Laying on the ground, modified with one leg straight and the other bent, twisting towards the straight leg - 30 sec per side x 2

10. Savasana (Corpse Pose): Heavenly. Boslter under the knees, eye bag used, breathing through whatever discomfort was left in my neck - 7 mins ? It could have been more, I'm not sure ;)

Try it.
Get This

No comments: