Monday, November 8, 2010

#53 Yogis can break

Share

I first hurt my back pre-yoga when I was 21. Long story short I was told by my doc sans any form of physical, "Your back muscles are inflamed; take a Motrin", where she proceeded to give me a few samples hidden in her desk drawer. I've dealt with a lower back issue ever since.

Fastforward to yesterday. I decided to take advantage of the unseasonably good weather to do some much needed fall cleanup in the garden. My back was speaking to me from all the raking, bending, and lifting. I was however being careful to keep good gardening form. Apparently not good enough. I knelt over to pull a few weeds and when I stood back up again it happened: Crippling, shocking pain in my lower back. Ugh!

Picture me, a fit 30-something yogi grasping for support on anything I can so as not to stay frozen in my hunched over position for eternity, eventually making my way to the ground where I lay in the half-dark (*insert discussion over the drawbacks of Daylight Savings Time here*), unmoving like someone three times my age. I wondered if my neighbours would look out their window and think 1) Their neighbour is crazy, or 2) Do 'ya think we should bring her some dinner?

No light stretching, ice, heat pad, more ice, or bed rest has helped. Sitting is a chore. Moving is a choir. I literally may need to stay horizontal for the rest of my life.

Off to physio to get a proper diagnosis and then it's time to kick this back pain in the ass once and for all. I'll keep you posted on my prognosis.

Have a similar story? Share it below and let me how you nursed yourself back to health.

Cartoon credit: Sam's World

Get This

No comments: