Friday, May 16, 2008

Yoga and Running: Yin-Yang?

Share

I am entered to run my first 10k race in a few weeks. A major feat for me considering I have never ran any distance of race before. A co-worker of mine is my inspiration. An avid runner, she recently ran a personal best of 48 min for her most recent 10k. Impressive to me seeing as my idea of a callenge is practicing Pratyahara (or withdrawl of the senses) while laying in Savasana. She will be by my side at the start and will run alongside me during the race, albeit not for long. We are taking part in the 2008 Footstock Race Weekend in Cochrane, AB on June 14th (http://www.footstock.ca/).

(N.B. I recently taught yoga to above said friend and her response to the class was an elimiination of her sciatica pain - thanks to Supta Padangustasana, or Reclining Hand to Big-toe Pose)

To add to my introduction into running, I work with another racer who is training for his first Ironman at the end of August and I have several yoga students who are members of the local running club. After teaching several workshops for the later, I was inspired to write this post. I'm posing the question: Do yoga and running compliment each other or are they polar opposites?

In my opinion, there couldn't be a better pair. An increase in mobility and flexibility, a reduction in the number of injuries, and a greater increase in lung capacity are some of the physical benefits of yoga to a runner. What is often overlooked are the mental benefits. Yoga can teach a runner to be present in the moment, to block out negative thoughts and mental noise, and to push past physical discomfort. The plus side is there are numerous yoga classes geared towards the runner. They are not, in my opinion, any different from the average yoga class. More of a marketing tool, really. There is one exception: a runners yoga class brings together people with the same interest. What better way to build a stronger feeling of community! It is time to bridge the gap between yoga and running, and yoga and any other sport for that matter. I thank some of my students for that.

Now, if there are any yogis at the race on Saturday, look for me. I'll be the one wearing yoga apparel for lack of better clothes. :)
Get This

No comments: